Hello readers! It´s time for a book review. Christmas is coming and that´s why we´re going to talk about ‘A Christmas Carol’, one of the most famous short novels written by Charles Dickens. It was published in 1843 and it tells the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, an old man who hates Christmas. You probably know this novel and his author, or perhaps you´ve seen the film adaption, but if not, you must read this post. Go on!
TITLE: A CHRISTMAS CAROL
AUTHOR: CHARLES DICKENS
LITERARY GENRE: fairy tale / short novel / vitorian literature
- Ebenezer Scrooge: He´s the star of the novel, a curmudgeon man who always thinks of money.
- Bob Cratchit: He´s Scrooge´s clerk, a poor man whose son is terribly ill. He cannot afford to pay for a doctor.
- Fred: He´s Scrooge´s nephew. He invites his uncle to celebrate Christmas day at his house but Scrooge refuses.
- Jacob Marley: He was Scrooge´s business parter but now he´s dead.
- The Ghost of Christmas Past: It takes Scrooge to visit his own past.
- The Ghost of Christmas Present: It takes Scrooge to visit the Crachit family´s house.
- The Ghost of Christmas Future: It takes Scrooge to visit his own future.
TIME OF THE STORY:
The events take place in the mid-nineteenth century.
PLACE OF THE STORY:
The story is set in London, UK.
PLOT / SUMMARY:
The novel begins on Christmas Eve. Fred visits his ancle Ebenezer Scrooge, who is working in his office with Bob Cratchit. Fred invites Scrooge to celebrate Christmas day with his family at his house but Scrooge refuses. Scrooge doesn´t like Christmas because he doesn´t like to spend money. Moreover, Scrooge is angry that he has to give his clerk a day off on Christmas day.
Scrooge goes home to spend Christmas alone and suddenly the ghost of Jacob Marley tells him that three ghosts will visit him. Then, The Ghost of Christmas Past arrives and takes Scrooge to visit his past. Scrooge visits his school and his girlfriend, who left him because of his stinginess.
After that, The Ghost of Christmas Present take him to see Cratchit family´s house, where Tim is terribly ill. Scrooge also visits his nephew´s house, where people are having fun.
To finish with, The Ghost of Christmas Future takes Scrooge to see his own grave. He feels sad and decides to become a better person. He´s sorry for his stinginess and starts a new life.
‘Bah! said Scrooge, Humbug!’
‘But you were always a good man of business, Jacob’ faltered Scrooge, who know began to apply this to himself.
‘Business!’ cried the Ghost wringing its hands again. ‘Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance and benevolence were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!
THE BEST THING OF THE BOOK:
The transformation of Scrooge and the social message about poverty, especially child poverty.
THE WORST THING OF THE BOOK:
It´s too short!
Now, what do you think? Would you like to give this famous short novel a shot? Yes or no? . Leave us a comment.
Thank for visiting us!