Hello readers and book lovers! Don´t you think it´s time for a book review? This week we´re going to talk about Matilda, one of the most famous books written by Roald Dahl, a British novelist and screenwriter. It was published in 1988 and illustrated by Quentin Blake. In 1996 the novel was made into the film, starred by Mara Wilson as Matilda and directed by Dani DeVito. But, as everybody says, the book is always better!
AUTHOR: ROALD DAHL
ILLUSTRATOR: Quentin Blake
LITERARY GENRE: Children / Teenage fiction
- Matilda Woormwood: She is the main character, a five-year-old girl who loves reading and studying. She is incredibly clever but her parents are not proud of her. According to them, she sould watch TV instead of reading. She discovers she has the power of telekinesis.
- Mr. and Mrs. Wormwood: They are Matilda´s parent, a superficial, frivolous and materialistic couple who do not understand their girl and usually ignore her.
- Michael: He´s Matilda´s brother. He is as shallow as his parents.
- Miss Honey: She is Matilda´s teacher, a very kind young woman who admires Matilda. She tries to move her into a higher class but is refused by the headmistress.
- Miss Agatha Trunchbull: She is the headmistress, who hates children and enjoys tormenting them at school.
- Lavender: She is Matilda´s friend, a shy and sweet girl who is battered by Miss Agatha.
TIME OF THE STORY:
The events take place in Buckinghamshire village, in South East England, near to London and Oxforshire.
PLACE OF THE STORY:
The story is set in present day.
PLOT / SUMMARY:
Matilda was always left alone at home so once she went to the public library and started reading books. Since that, she stayed there up to it closed and her family did not miss her. She started to play jokes on her parents and brother t be happier (she invented some punishments). At school Miss Honey was really surprised becaus Matilda could multiply high numbers without a calculator. Matilda told her teacher that she read many books but children books should be funnier. Miss Honey decided to speak with Matilda´s parents about her intelligence, but they ignored her. Miss Trunchbull was an olympic woman and threw a boy throwout the window. Matilda used her powers to punish Miss Trunchbull. Finally Miss Honey adopted Matilda and they lived together ever after.
‘I liked the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe’, Matilda said. ‘I think Mr C. S. Lewis is a very good writer. But he has one failing. There are no funny bits in his books.’
‘You are right there’, Miss Honey said.
‘There aren´t many funny bits in Mr Tolkien either’, Matilda said.
This novel is very funny and shows the author´s great love for books. It mix fantasy and comedy, which are two of the most loved literary genres.
THE BEST THING OF THE BOOK:
THE WORST THING OF THE BOOK:
The book is almost as good as the film because the film is simply brilliant. So if you don´t have enough time to read the book, you can watch the film. But in English, please! And don´t say that to children. They must read!
Now, what do you think? Would you like to give this funny novel a shot? Yes or no? . Leave us a comment.
Thank for visiting us!