Hello everybody! How are you today? ‘Animals’ is our topic for this week and we´re going to start from scratch. What animals do you know? Can you name at least five animals? If not, you have to read this post. Here we´re going to show you some useful vocabulary to talk about wildlife, nature and so on. Are you an animal lover? Do you have any pets? Have you ever lived on a farm? Then, you´ll probably have an interest in this.
Wild animals are those species of animals that are naturally ferocious, unpredictable, dangerous or not devoted to the service of mankind. For example:
Farm animals are animals that are kept for use or profit. They´re used for the production of human and animal food and feed, fiber, skin and hide and they´re also used in farm work, (for example, bullocks and horses used in the hauling of freight). Examples:
Birds are warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrate animals distinguished by the possession of feathers, wings, a beak, and typically by being able to fly. For example:
Insects are animals that are small, air-breathing arthropods having a body divided into three parts and having two antennae, three pairs of legs (and usually two pairs of wings). For example:
Pets / Domestic animals
Pets are domestic or tamed animals kept for companionship or pleasure. For example:
Sea creatures are animals inhabiting the sea, including fishes, mollucs and many mammals. For example:
Would you like to describe an animal? Probably its body has some of these parts.
What´s the name of baby animals? It depends on the animal. Here you have some examples.
And now, a bit more information for advanced students.
You´re a pig-headed –> You´re stupid, stubborn.
Let sleeping dogs lie. –> Not to talk about things that happened in the past.
I feel like a fish out of water. –> I feel uncomfortable.
He wouldn´t hurt a fly. –> He is a non-violent person.
Hold your horses! –> Relax!
My boss is a cold fish –> My boss is unfriendly.
- I am a very elegant animal, very fast and little fierce; and when I want to put on I’m going to the blacksmith’s house.
Answer: The horse.
- Before egg, then little cap, later I will fly like a little bird.
Answer: The butterfly.
- What is the animal, of field or corral, that if a carrot you give its little teeth will you see?
Answer: The rabbit.
- From cell to cell I go, but prey I’m not.
Answer: The bee.
- I do not look like it and I’m a fish, and my form reflects it a piece of chess.
Answer: The seahorse.
- Go out to the country at night if you want to know me, I am lord of great eyes, serious face and great to know.
Answer: The owl.
- I am cunning and playful and hunting a mouse it´s my biggest hobby.
Answer: The cat.
…and that´s all for today!
Now, could you talk about animals in a conversation? Yes or no? Thanks for visiting us. Happy Wednesday!